Sunday 6 January 2019

Ork Boyz: Running Legs Poses from Kromlech


I recently decided to take advantage of the November Black Friday sales at Kromlech.eu to buy some Ork running legs and running bodies. I've had my eye on these pieces for many years and have wanted to add more diversity to the poses available in my large boyz mobs. The typical image of an Ork horde is that of a mass of charging rampaging bodies, all dashing towards the enemy as quickly as their stubby legs can carry them. Why then is it that the otherwise excellent Ork Boyz kit has precisely zero running poses? To correct this I bought roughly 20 sets of legs and rustled up enough arms, heads and torsos to finish the rest.

I decided to try a new technique of batch painting 10 boyz at once. I began by painting the bases and assembling the legs and torsos. I undercoated the torsos black and attached them with a wire pin to the base. I then set about painting all the separate parts individually starting with the torsos and legs, then the arms then finally the heads. It took the best part of 5 days to completely finish them but I must say, I liked being able to access all the areas of detail more easily. I think I'll continue to use this technique in the future but lower the model count to batches of 5 at a time. I did take forever!

I'm very pleased with the finished results. The boyz blend in perfectly with my other, more stock posed, boyz and help to create the sense of anarchy large mobz of boyz would eschew. These 10 complete a mob of 30 with another mob of 30 left to paint. Gork help me!



  Torsos and bases are completed first.
 Arms and added in batches followed by heads.


4 comments:

  1. Nicely done, I like the ork kromlech stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Francis, I recommend Kromlech for adding variety.

      Delete
  2. How did you prevent the "frosting" effect from superglue (if that's what you used) when attaching the arms and heads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lepp, I only used a small amount of glue and hoped for the best. I only really get problems with frosting when larger amounts of glue are used. Gorilla glue is so good you can get away with a small amount.

      Delete