Saturday 18 December 2010

New Year Project Musings


I haven't had a lot of time to be thinking about anything particularly engaging in the hobby world lately due to me doing 6 days a week on the night shift at Sainsburys. Instead I have being reviewing my bank balance and wistfully compiling a list of 'stuff to buy' i the new year.

Most of the items on the list are hobby supplies as my bitz box has been completely depleted over the last few years while I have been a student. As a result I will be mass buying plastic tube, rod, magnets, wire, tools, the complete vellajo game colour range etc...

Boring things, which should lead to exciting scratch builds. There is room in the budget for a modeling project though, I just haven't decided what yet.

The Options

A Custom Stompa

My ork army is getting to a point now where I could do with expanding it. All the modeling project options are for my ork army.

I have always wanted a stompa ever since I saw Irondogs 'tatter titan' here. Its just ace! Then recently when searching for inspiration for a stompa project I came across this over at the Waaahhh forum. Again, fantastic!

My ideas are leaning far more towards this style of stompa rather than the GW template kit. I like the kit but I think may be a little too used. I would end up rebuilding most of it just to make it look unique, although I may get a kit anyway just for bits to loot.

Some Heavy Stuff

My ork army is built around a core of Ork nobz led my Ghaz in a battle wagon and a unit of 19 ard boyz in another battlewagon led by a big mek. This doesn't leave much room for much else points wise as the rest is taken up with 6 grotzooka kanz.

As a result, I wouldn't mind expanding the heavy support element of my ork force so that I can field a few different builds. I would need some big gunz, lots of lootas and a boom wagon or two.

I really don't like the loota kit models. The shoulder mounted weapons just don't do it for me. What I want is some beefy drum and/or chain fed Gatling guns!

I really like the Kromlech field kannon supplied by Maxmini and they would obviously make excellent ork kannonz so I guess I will use them. No messing. I'll probably crew them with the forge world grot crew.

Looted boom wagon. Hmm I have a few novel ideas for these. A bit hard to explain them here but I may draw up a few sketch plans then post them up.

Fast Stuff

Nob bikers pure and simple. You hate them, I'm not keen. But they do offer a great modeling opportunity and they stomp face on the battle field. They would have to come with all the trimmings, cybork bodies, a painboy etc....

This will also include a warboss on a bike to lead them. I may even have a go at building wazzdakka, who knows.

Fasta Stuff

This is the project that is grabbing most of my attention. Recently I re-discovered a comic book I never read called 'Deff Skwadron' which featured the exploits of an ork fighta-bomma squadron. It is an extremely entertaining read, which was sadly cut short before its time. I'm hoping that the exploits of the Deff Skwadron may live on in my own battles as I plan on building 3 fighta-bommaz to represent the main characters from the comic, Uzgob, Raznutz and Killboy.

The link to the comic can be found here.

This last project really takes the cake for me at the moment. It is one of the cheapest options for one, it has the most challenging modeling potential and I think it will have the most rewarding finished results. Finally, it also provides a nice unit for apoc games, which isn't too high powered but is fun to use!

So there are my current modeling musings. If you have any preferences please let me know but more importantly If you have any insight or inspiration to share on any of the above topics please do let me know. I need all the help I can get.

1 comment:

  1. That's quite a list - good luck with that and lots of pictures as you progress.

    I love the 2 stompas you linked to. I had seen the first one previously, but that seond was new to me. I really love the Grot swinging of the side trying to apply a 'red paint job'. Great attention to detail.

    I was talking with one of my mates the other day about how the GW Stompa kit is great, but too uniform now its been out for a while. He has scratch built 2 stompas, and my local GW had scratch built one before the release of the GW kit. There are enough bits available to really go to town on a project like that.

    Best of luck in the new year mate.

    Pom

    ReplyDelete